Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What is a Mac Tablet PC?

Hello and welcome to my new blog about making my Lenovo X60 Tablet PC a "Mac TabletPC" that will triple-boot into:
  • Windows XP Tablet PC edition Service Pack 3 (obvious and default choice)
  • Ubuntu Linux 8.04
  • Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.3
Why Mac Tablet PC?

I've been always interested in the Mac platform and have heard testimonials from many geeks about the superiority of the Mac OSX operating system and decided to give it a go.

While I can't justify spending another 2 grands on a Macbook Air (yet!) just to be able to try the platform, I decided to go for a "hack-attack" and try to install Mac OSX on my TabletPC and give it a try first.

If I really get convinced that this is the platform to go, I'll definitely go ahead and purchase the most beautiful notebook computer known to men.

Disclaimer

Installing Mac OSX on a non-mac machine is not legal. Even purchasing a legitimate copy of Mac OSX won't make it legal. Apple wants the cat-like-operating systems to run on their hardware exclusively.

I'm aware of that and as I mentioned before - I'm doing it just to run a trial on their platform, learn about MacOSX and eventually, if all goes well, I'm more than inclined to purchase the hardware from Apple. I'm doing this only to try it out, not to make it my default working platform which is to this date the Windows XP operating system with TabletPC enhancements and it came preinstalled on my machine (luckily I bought the XP version, not the Vista edition... I would never go with the Vista).

What are the specs of my Mac Tablet PC?

I'll be doing all these experiments on my Lenovo X60 TabletPC with
  • 2 GB Ram
  • Intel Core Duo 1.83 MHz processor
  • 120 GB Samsung 5400 SATA disk
  • 1400*1050 native SXGA screen with Wacom Digitizer
I also have quite a few support hardware to make the process less painful
  • spare 100GB 5400 SATA disk in a 2.5" USB 2.0 enclosure
  • X5 Tablet Dock with DVD reader/burner to make the installations easy
  • 21" 1680*1050 Gateway external monitor to see how it works on two screens
  • My old Toshiba M200 TabletPC as a spare computer if I need to get some work done and my X60 is "under construction".
Here's the photo of my desk:



It's going to be a great ride! Let me know what you think about this idea in the comments below!

No comments: