Friday, June 20, 2008

Installing (mirroring) Windows XP

Step 1 - let's get first with my Windows XP TabletPC edition - which is my current default operating system and my "day job". My computer came with this system pre-installed. I've optimized it (i.e. did a fresh-reinstall thanks to the great K0Lo of Gottabemobile forums and his helpful guide) and installed all the software I needed and did an image copy with Norton Ghost.

So now I just installed my working XP image on the 120GB hard disk I prepared earlier using the 2.5" HDD USB 2.0 enclosure and the Norton Ghost:



Note: unlike the Acronis Trueimage, Norton Ghost has an ability to install the system on a USB-connected drive which is really cool when you need to install your working system on an external drive just like I did.

Of course, I ghosted only the first primary partition with my Windows XP installation. I keep all of the rest of my data on an external 750GB disk :-)

Now I had to turn off my computer, remove the current 100GB disk and replace it with the newly partitioned and ghosted 120GB drive, it was fairly easy on my X60 (just a handful of screws and you're ready!)



Now my new drive is mounted and I have a working copy of my Windows XP with some other partitions ready to install the Mac OSX and Ubuntu Linux. Till tomorrow!

No comments: