Sunday, June 22, 2008

Installing Ubuntu Linux on Lenovo X60 TabletPC

After I've installed the MacOSX it's time to enable triple-boot I need a Grub boot loader and while I'm not only interested in Mac OSX but Ubuntu Linux as well, I decided to install the newest, 8.04 version of Ubuntu.



Installing Ubuntu with Gnome

I initially wanted to install Kubuntu but after I've checked it, I decided to go with the traditional Ubuntu Linux since I kinda like the Gnome interface better. I popped in the CD and booted it and wen ahead with the installation which was really easy.

At one point, when asked about the partitions, I chose the "manual" way and marked my third primary partition as the "/" mount and my first logical drive as the SWAP mount:



Once this has been selected I proceeded to the installation and it worked pretty fast:



Now, once the system has been installed, I could reboot and GRUB bootloader has been installed for me by the Ubuntu installation... now I booted to Ubuntu to modify it and to make sure I could boot into Mac OSX as well.

Here's my modified /boot/grub/menu.lst file:

title Windows TabletPC
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Mac OSX Leopard
root (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Ubuntu Linux
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=32f190c1-db6d-4055-bd74-199bfc3eb090 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
quiet

To edit it, I had to go to the terminal and go with:
> sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
give my root password and modify the thing and save. Once rebooted I was welcomed by this nice screen and could easily boot into all three of my systems:



Now, all is installed and I have three systems in place. I must admit it was fairly easy... but now it's time to configure both Mac OSX and Ubuntu Linux to make sure they work perfectly on my Tablet...

I'll be a frequent member of the gottabemobile forums, insanelymac forums and thinkpad forums to make sure I get all the support from the community to help me solve all the problems with these OSes and make sure they work flawlessly on my X60 tablet.

Till tomorrow!

No comments: